Present: Mickey Bailey, Ken Batchelor, Clif Beaver, Bob Cochran, Robert Dobie, Rachel Hanes, Doug Henderson, Craig Huffman, Paul Koch, Kim Lauder, Gregg Lindner, Andrew McLaughlin, John Nolen, Bob Sage, John Sanville, Sherry Tierney, Stacia Torrey and Marie Wickersham.
Contact Information for Committee Members
- Mickey Bailey - PES Parent - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Clif Beaver - UES - Principal email@example.com
- Bob Cochran - Dir of Business & Operations - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Robert Dobie - HES Parent - email@example.com
- Rachel Hanes - HES Counselor - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Doug Henderson - PES Counselor - Dhenderson@ucfsd.net
- Craig Huffman - CFES Parent - email@example.com
- Paul Koch - CFES Parent - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kim Lauder - UES Parent - email@example.com
- Gregg Lindner - School Board Director - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Andrew McLaughlin - PES Principal - email@example.com
- John Nolen - Dir. of Curriculum & Ins. - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bob Sage - School Board Director - email@example.com
- John Sanville - Superintendent - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sherry Tierney - PES Parent - email@example.com
- Stacia Torrey - PES Parent - Pstorrey99@yahoo.com
- Marie Wickersham - Supervisor of Trans. - firstname.lastname@example.org
Expectations of the Committee
- Committee members should communicate with constituents. Members should bring questions and ask questions during meetings.
- Committee members should provide stakeholder unique perspectives.
- Committee members should help to make the work of the committee as transparent as possible.
- The committee will provide input to the Board of Directors.
Redistricting Study Presentation
John Sanville gave a presentation on the Redistricting Study. This is the same presentation he has made 15 times for several groups including PTOs and faculties of our 6 schools. The presentation included the following:
- Presenting concern – Pocopson ES is near capacity
- Current Status
- Pocopson enrollment is growing while Unionville ES and Hillendale ES are declining.
- Pocopson enrollment is at 652 – an all-time high.
- Capacities and usage percentages were shared. Pocopson is at 89% while the other three buildings are at approximately 70% of capacity.
- Our Path Moving Forward
- Engage McKissick and Associates to conduct phase I of the study – enrollment projections for our four elementary schools.
- Numerous times during the presentation John Sanville stressed, “No decisions have been made.”
- There are three non-negotiable principles that guide us in this study:
- We are committed to four K-5 elementary schools.
- Each of our elementary schools should provide students with the same academic experience.
- Make no decisions until all stakeholders have been fully engage
McKissick and Associates
John Sanville introduced Kristen and Vern McKissick. He explained the vetting process that led to the Board approval of McKissick and Associates to conduct enrollment projections at our four elementary schools.
Kristen and Vern shared qualifications that make them uniquely qualified to conduct the UCFSD study. In addition they provided project plan, timeline and methodology. Some of the specific action plans include touring our four elementary buildings, meeting UCFSD administrators and meeting township representatives.
During a question and answer period a number of questions/points were raised including:
- Many questions related to metric, methodology and calculations that will be used IF we need to redistrict.
- A premium will be put on not separating neighborhoods.
- Transportation and student travel times will be a consideration.
- If we need to redistrict McKissick will provide several options for community consideration.
- Can grandfathering of students (allowing current students to finish at a school if redistricted to another school) be considered if redistricting is necessary? Yes – no decisions have been made and therefore all options are on the table.
Detailed documentation on McKissick and Associates and their work in UCFSD can be found on the UCFSD redistricting website (http://ucfsd.org/redistricting-study-2014-2015.html).
Next committee meeting – December 3 at 8:30 a.m. in the district office
McKissick Report to Board and Community – December 16 at 7:00 p.m in the district office